Landlord Forms

Overview on Applications before the LTB – L-Forms


As an Ontario landlord, you would surely hope to avoid having to do any applications before the LTB. In reality, chances are that sooner or later you will have no other choice. You should know that the application process can take around 3 months. A hearing typically takes place 4 to 8 weeks after you filing the application, so be prepared for a lengthy process. Below is a short outline of the different, most common applications for a landlord in Ontario. You can find all forms as well as guides on the LTB Website.

L1 - Eviction for non-payment of rent
  • Requires previous service of Form N4 (include copy of N4 and certificate of service)
  • Claim only rent owing (plus NSP fess), no other costs
  • Filing an L1 is not possible if the tenant has moved out
L9 - Application to collect rent owed
  • File earliest on day after rent is due and remains unpaid
  • Tenant is still living in the unit (if the tenant has moved out, file with small claims court)
  • Claim only rent owing (plus NSP fess), no other costs
  • Pay attention to listing rent periods correctly
L2 - Application to end tenancy and evict tenant

This form can be used in connection with a few different tenant notifications, i.e. after serving form

  • N5 - Interference, Damage, Overcrowding (details)
  • N6 - Illegal Acts (details)
  • N7 - Causing Serious Problems (details)
  • N8 - Persistent Late Payment (details)
  • N12 - Own Use (details)

Make sure to follow the rules regarding filing timelines. There is a section on Form L2 to collect money owed by the tenant. The form can only be filed if the tenant still occupies the unit.

L3 - Application to end tenancy
  • Use after signing Form N11 (agreement to end tenancy) with your tenant and they are not moving out
  • Or after they give you a notice of termination N9
  • You can file after having received the N9, or after having mutually signed an N11, up to 30 days after the termination date as per the N9/N11.

L8 - Tenant changed locks

  • Force the tenant to give you a key for the new lock
  • Get the tenant to compensate you for the cost of changing the lock again