Landlord Forms

Overview on Applications before the LTB – L-Forms


As an Ontario landlord, you would surely hope to avoid having to do any applications before the LTB. In reality, chances are that sooner or later you will have no other choice. You should know that the application process can take around 3 months. A hearing typically takes place 4 to 8 weeks after you filing the application, so be prepared for a lengthy process. Below is a short outline of the different, most common applications for a landlord in Ontario. You can find all forms as well as guides on the LTB Website.

L1 - Eviction for non-payment of rent
  • Requires previous service of Form N4 (include copy of N4 and certificate of service)
  • Claim only rent owing (plus NSP fess), no other costs
  • Filing an L1 is not possible if the tenant has moved out
L9 - Application to collect rent owed
  • File earliest on day after rent is due and remains unpaid
  • Tenant is still living in the unit (if the tenant has moved out, file with small claims court)
  • Claim only rent owing (plus NSP fess), no other costs
  • Pay attention to listing rent periods correctly
L2 - Application to end tenancy and evict tenant

This form can be used in connection with a few different tenant notifications, i.e. after serving form

  • N5 - Interference, Damage, Overcrowding (details)
  • N6 - Illegal Acts (details)
  • N7 - Causing Serious Problems (details)
  • N8 - Persistent Late Payment (details)
  • N12 - Own Use (details)

Make sure to follow the rules regarding filing timelines. There is a section on Form L2 to collect money owed by the tenant. The form can only be filed if the tenant still occupies the unit.

L3 - Application to end tenancy
  • Use after signing Form N11 (agreement to end tenancy) with your tenant and they are not moving out
  • Or after they give you a notice of termination N9
  • You can file after having received the N9, or after having mutually signed an N11, up to 30 days after the termination date as per the N9/N11.

L8 - Tenant changed locks

  • Force the tenant to give you a key for the new lock
  • Get the tenant to compensate you for the cost of changing the lock again
Landlord Forms

When things go really bad with your tenants – Form N7

As some of the other landlord forms, the N7 has its challenges. In general, the form is there to end a tenancy for causing serious problems in the rental unit or residential complex. But what does that include?

Whenever a tenant has caused damage at your property, you generally are looking at using Form N5. You would only use Form N7 in much more serious cases. The specificity of the N7 is that it requires you to prove that the tenant has willfully caused the damage, which can be a difficult task.

There are other uses of the form as well. In the "Reason"- section of the form, you can choose one of the other three:

  • The safety of others in the property has been severely jeopardized by the tenant
  • The tenant has used the rental unit in a manner inconsistent with its use as residential premises and this has caused or can be expected to cause serious damage
  • You as the landlord live at the property and the tenant has substantially interfered with your reasonable enjoyment. This only applies to properties with 3 units or less.

Fill all your information chronologically in the form, making your case founded and clear. Serve the form properly (hand, under door, mailbox) and use form L2 (if needed) for eviction. The L2 can be filed right after serving the N7, not waiting period.

Find the full instructions for filling the form here: N7 Instructions.pdf

Landlord Forms

Form N6 – Illegal Acts by the Tenant

Form N6 is a tricky one. It should be used when a tenant or their guest is conducting illegal activities, such as an act related to drugs, running an illegal business or any other illegal act within the rental unit/complex. The determination of what constitutes an illegal activity is often hard for us as normal citizens. Talk to police or a legal professional in order to make the right call.

In the case of production or trafficking of an illegal drug, you must give a min. of 10 days termination notice. With an illegal act or business not related to drugs, the min notice period is 20 days. See termination date on Form N6. As soon as you have served the N6, you can proceed and file the L2 for eviction. If there is reasonable hope that the tenant will move out, you might want to wait with the L2 until termination date. If they have moved out, you won't need to go through the L2 process with can take months.


Keep in mind:

  • Fill out as much information and details as possible to describe your case
  • Make sure you have the form filled correctly, mistakes can void the form
  • Adhere to the proper servicing guidelines to make sure you serve the notice to the tenant in a legally acceptable way

More details on Form N6

How many cannabis plants can they have?

Regulations for Cannabis in Canada

Landlord Forms

Bad Tenants and Form N5

In essence, Form N5 is there to terminate a lease based on the tenant interfering with others, causing damage, or overcrowding the rental unit. Serving the form to your tenant gives them seven days to correct the issue. If they don't comply, you can proceed with an L2 eviction application.

Professionals will tell you to act right away if you see any of the 3 issues with your tenants. If you don't do anything it might be construed as implied consent to said behaviour. Once you have served an N5 your tenant generally has three options. They can correct the issue within seven days, they can move out by the termination date as per the form, or they can wait until you file an L2 for eviction. Correcting the issue in this respect means repairing the damage or paying for the repair, stopping an interference with another tenant, or ending the overcrowding.
In the case of a damage, it is advisable to get at least two written quotes for repair, in order to be able to prove the cost involved. In the case of overcrowding, check municipal by-laws for the definition of overcrowding. Keep in mind that roommates and guests are not generally considered overcrowding. Include as much detail on the infractions as you can in the designated area of the form. Detailed documentation betters your chances of a positive outcome.

If the tenant corrects the issue but then within six months causes another infraction, you can serve another N5 and then go straight to the eviction process without having to wait to seven days. Remember the L2 process can take several months. Make sure to follow proper servicing rules for the form.

Find more details and instructions on how to fill the form here:
Landlord Forms

The Easiest and Fastest Way to End a Tenancy – Form N11

Generally the fastest and easiest way to end a tendency is to sign Form N11. It is a mutual agreement between landlord and tenant and can have any desirable date for termination. This means it can also be used to break a fixed term lease, given both parties agree.

It is OK to negotiate and offer an incentive to the tenant but the tenant cannot be forced to signing the agreement. If they are able to prove that you forced them into signing, the agreement may be rendered void. You do not necessarily have to use form N11, any written agreement will do, as long as you include the following: Names of landlord(s) and tenant(s), address of the unit, tenancy end date, signature of landlord and all tenants.
signing landlord and tenant forms
The form is commonly used when there is a breakdown in the landlord and tenant relationship or for any other reason where ending the tenancy benefits both parties. Please be aware that you cannot sign the form upon signing a lease, e.g. using this type of an agreement as a condition of a lease. This would render the agreement void. Also the agreement becomes void 30 days after the termination date, if the tenant has not moved out and the landlord has not filed with the LTB. Whenever a tenant changes their mind after signing an N11 and refuses to move out, you need to file for eviction using form L3 within 30 days of the termination date.

Find more details on forms N11 and L3 here: